Tarot and Astrology
There are 16 cards that represent the Court Arcana in the Rider-Waite Tarot Deck. They are the Page, Knight, Queen, and King of each suit. The four Knights are instigators of change. They mark the beginning or end of a sequence of events for the querent. Since we only need 12 cards to make this correlation we will disregard the Knights for this discussion. I believe the remaining 12 Court Arcana have a direct correlation with the signs of the Zodiac.
In ancient times it was thought that the world was made up of just four elements---- Fire, Water, Air and Earth. Each of these elements represents three astrological signs and correlates with one of the suits of the Court Arcana. I’ll list each Court card and the astrological sign that I believe most closely matches the generally accepted traits of that card. If in any particular spread, one of these cards does not indicate the specific astrological sign shown, then it probably represents one of the other signs within its element.
- Fire Element (Sagittarius, Aries, Leo*)
- King of Wands – Aries
- Queen of Wands – Leo
- Page of Wands – Sagittarius
- Water Element (Cancer, Scorpio*, Pisces)
- King of Cups – Cancer
- Queen of Cups – Scorpio
- Page of Cups – Pisces
- Air Element (Aquarius*, Gemini, Libra)
- King of Swords – Libra
- Queen of Swords – Aquarius
- Page of Swords – Gemini
- Earth Element (Taurus*, Virgo, Capricorn)
- King of Pentacles – Virgo
- Queen of Pentacles – Taurus
- Page of Pentacles – Capricorn
* Four of the astrological signs are fixed and can represent a cardinal direction. Aquarius – North. Taurus – East. Leo – South. Scorpio – West.